Company: West Michigan Sweeper
Position: Route Driver
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Position Code: 001
Reports To: Operations Manager
Drives street sweeper vehicle and operates blower equipment to clean and maintain client sites.
Drive sweeper vehicle following established route to clean clients sites of trash, debris, and other contaminants
- Operate vehicle controls to power sweeper brushes and water sprayer to aid in debris and dust collection
- Operate a backpack blower to aid in the cleanup of trash, debris, and other contaminants
- Dump collected debris and refuse in designated dumping zones
- Perform minor maintenance on street sweeper, such as:
- Regular cleaning
- Checking fluids and tire pressure
- Filling/emptying tanks
- Operates power washer to clean vehicles and equipment
- Report vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicles
- Plan or adjust routes based on changing conditions using global positioning systems (GPS) equipment, or other navigation devices to minimize fuel consumption and carbon emissions
- Perform emergency roadside repairs, such as changing tires or installing light bulbs, tire chains, or spark plugs
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of various street sweeper equipment, their use, and maintenance
Ability to operate various handheld equipment
Ability to manage time effectively
Ability to work in a safe and efficient manner
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: 2+ years of driving experience
Certifications/Licenses: Valid driver’s license for the State of Michigan and the ability to be insured
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires driving, sitting, standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Spends most of the time riding and/or outdoors. Frequent exposure to extreme hot or cold temperatures for one hour or more. Possible exposure to distraction, uncomfortable noise levels and vibration of body or extremities. At risk of bodily injury from mechanical parts, electricity, etc. Possible exposure to fumes, odors, etc. that may affect respiration and skin.